Next Meeting: May 10
May Speaker: Aiston Preserve--Lummi Island Heritage Trust to restore quarry property
At the May potluck join us to learn about Lummi Island Heritage Trust’s quarry purchase and its plans to permanently conserve and restore for future generations one of the island’s most unique places. Presenter Rebecca Rettme, Executive Director of Lummi Island Heritage, will share a slide show and details of each stage of the acquisition, restoration and conservation of the quarry property.
With 4,000 feet of rocky shoreline and pocket beaches including Smuggler’s Cove, and 105 acres with deep, mossy forests. The Heritage Trust and its partners will create public access for low impact recreation such as paddling, hiking and bird watching. For now, the property remains closed to the public but the Trust is hosting guided tours twice monthly. Check out liht.org for details and how you can help contribute toward the remaining 10% of costs of this $2.95 million acquisition and restoration project.
2016 Race Results are now posted
Racing Forms for Download
2016 CYC Cruise Schedule
Please consider hosting one or more cruises during the season. Dates and hosts for confirmed cruises are listed below, with the mode of moorage (anchor, dock, mooring buoy, etc.) indicated in parentheses. To make the other locations a go, we need hosts! Contact Capt. Ron to learn more.
- Matia Cleanup (M/D), May 13-15, hosts: Joe & Priscilla Sulham
- Lopez Islander Resort joint BYC-CYC cruise (A/D), May 27-30, hosts needed!
- Turn Point Cleanup, Stuart Island (A/M), June 24-26, Chairperson Pam Spencer
- Spencer Spit Lopez (A/M), July 2-4, hosts needed!
- Anacortes Arts Festival (D), Aug. 5-7, hosts needed!
- Montague Harbour Galiano (A/D/M), Sept. TBD, hosts Tracy & Troy Olney
- Blakely Island Turkey Cruise (D), Oct. 28-30, hosts Tracy & Troy Olney
Proposed cruises without hosts or dates
- Rosario Resort, Orcas Island and Beyond (A/D/M)
- Oktoberfest, Sept
- Round the County Race (M)
- Aleck Bay, Lopez Island (A)
- Clark Island (M)
- Deer Harbor, Orcas Island (A/D)
- Eagle Harbor, Cypress Island (A/M)
- Garrison Bay, San Juan Island (A)
- Obstruction Pass Park (A/M)
- Pleasant Cove, Chuckanut Bay (A)
- Prevost Harbor, Stuart Island (A/M)
- Vendovi Island (D)
- West Sound, Orcas Island (A/D/M)
- Whirlwind Cruise: Jones Island-Deer Harbor-West Sound (A/D/M)
Fall in the Gulf Islands (Week to 10 Days)
- Port Browning: port of entry and provisioning (A/D)
- Montague Harbor (A/D)
- Wallace Island (A/D)
- Pirates Cove, De Courcy Island (A)
- Ganges Harbor, Salt Spring Island (A/D)
- Portland Island, North Cove (A)
(A =Anchor, D=Dock or Marina, R=Reciprocal, M=Mooring Buoy)
Hosting A CYC Cruise:
First and foremost you must select a cruise that sparks your interest, whether a favorite destination to share with other CYC members or a location that you have always wanted to visit but until now have not done so. Second, you determine dates that suit your schedule. Third, you decide what activities, if any, you wish to explore such as hiking, dining, shopping, beach combing, etc. and whether or not there will be any pot lucks or BBQs. Once these tasks are decided you can send an email to all members by sending it to the cruise chair and/or webmaster who will forward it to the membership. Then you coordinate the trip with members so that you have a destination, phone numbers, boat names (radio contact), MMSI numbers, and any other necessities. Then you sail together or converge at your planned destination and have a wonderful time exploring the area!
Photographs and a paragraph or two in the next newsletter are always a welcome addition. Please remember that your back yard (San Juan and Gulf Islands) contains some of the best cruising grounds in the world. Get out there and enjoy your boat and your fellow CYC members. Valuable information about local cruising can be found in San Juan Islands, a Boater's Guidebook by Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmer, 2013.
Contact your Cruise Chairperson for any additional information: Ron Battle (360) 319-7478 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CYC Cruise Chair
2015 Race results are still posted.
Cruising schedule and other CYC events are listed on the CYC Google Calendar, which is updated periodically. You can subscribe to the CYC Google Calendar on your computer or smart phone or see the Events & Cruises page.
May 7: Opening Day Events, Swap Meet, CYC Dock Party
May 10: CYC potluck, SYC Clubhouse
May 13-15: The first cruise of the 2016 season. Matia Cleanup Cruise
May 24: CYC Board meeting
May 27-30: Lopez Islander Resort joint BYC-CYC cruise
June 14: CYC potluck, SYC Clubhouse
June 24-26: Turn Point Cleanup, Stuart Island, Chairperson Pam Spencer
June 28: CYC Board meeting
2 MAY 2016
Problems? Notify the Webmeister
Our mailing address is P. O. Box 101, Bellingham, WA 98227
[Corinthian Yacht Club Bellingham] [Meeting Information] [Cruising/Events] [Racing] [Newsletter] [Membership] [Reciprocal Clubs] [Links/Resources]